Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Re: Looking for Browser Based Hosted Email Solution (UNCLASSIFIED)

I hope someone has a good response to what I'm about to write. I don't mean
to rain on the parade of praise for off-site email, but I do have some
concerns with not having more control over the server.

What happens when a student's account gets abused by another student who has
stolen a password? Assuming that you can even get access to the logs that
track logins, read messages, etc..., if it happened during the school day
(or if you are a boarding school) the best info you will get is your public
WAN address. You'll have a bear of a time tracking those logins back to
particular machines on campus.

We've had this happen a few times here and within 15 minutes, I can
associate an email login to a computer on campus by IP and cross-reference
that with workstation logins and pretty quickly get a very short list of
students who were probably involved. No need to wait for Google to provide
the info (assuming they will even do that). In some cases, we've even
tracked the suspect logins to public IPs and have been able to cross
reference those with other logins from that IP and challenge the students to
a decent explanation of what our logs show.

We also have access to detailed message tracking for both internal and SMTP
messaging so that we can usually get the information we need pretty quickly
to solve problems.

I would be happy to save money go with an offsite solution, but I'd also
want to continue to have detailed tracking and reporting for tracking down
inappropriate use and troubleshooting. Do any of the off-site vendors off
this?

Christopher Butler

--
Christopher Butler