Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Re: pros/cons of Gmail/GoogleApps solution

I would like to add to the concern voiced below. Google makes its money
selling advertising, not applications. You agree to their Terms of Service
in order to get their 'free' products. Those terms include their right to
scan your emails for subjects of interest to you. They also (reportedly)
scan emails SENT TO YOU by people who didn't agree to their terms of
service.

My school has a number of other needs competing for resources. So a free,
globally-accessible email solution with a pleasant interface and some nice
features feels very tempting. Here, some of my staff are so unhappy with
our current POP3 > Outlook (not Exchange) that they have taken to using
their personal Gmail accounts "on behalf of" their official school accounts.
However I have a real concern about the privacy of sensitive matters which
regularly pass through teachers' and administrators' inboxes.

How have you who use GoogleApps managed the privacy issue? I realize that
NO EMAILS sent via the internet are truly confidential but...

Dan Berger
Technology Coordinator
Jewish Primary Day School of the Nations Capital