Monday, April 21, 2008

Re: RealMath Online from McGraw Hill

Fred, can I suggest that you check out EM's new game CDs ? I believe that
they also have an online version that's recently been retooled. I recently
introduced the early childhood CD to students, and I thought the games were
well done. I've been told that there's a new assessment tool as well. At my
current set of schools, we've invested in a great deal of professional
development with Everyday Math and that seems to be key to the success of
the program. If you have more questions, let me know. We work closely with
the developers of the program as they are located on the U of C campus.
Thanks,
Lucy Gray
University of Chicago Charter Schools

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Fred Austin <faustin@theoakwoodschool.org>
wrote:

> Hello
>
> We are exploring a way to bring technology based tools into our Math
> Curriculum. We are currently using Everyday Math K-5, but feel that it
> leaves us short in several ways. The curriculum committee of our Lower
> School is really interested in RealMath. I have explored it in review and
> like what it brings to the table. I am particularly interested when it comes
> to assisting the teacher with planning and assessment, and more
> individualized reinforcement for the students. We are 1:1 grades 4-12 but
> might deploy RealMath in only 4 and 5 grades for now.
>
> My questions are:
> 1. Are any of you using RealMath and has it delivered what you expected?
>
> 2. Is it academically robust enough to challenge the children yet keep
> them engaged?
>
> 3. How much of a hit on bandwidth (subjectively) on your network has it
> added?
>
> 4. Does it seem that their servers handle the loads all through the day?
>
> Thanks for any insight
>
> Fred Austin
> Technology Coordinator
> The Oakwood School