Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Location independent access was Re: Antivirus

We run Novell Netware as our network system. We=20
use Novell iPrint for printing over the Internet.=20
We liked it so much that we go rid of all of our=20
traditional print queues and now all of our=20
printing goes through iPrint, even if people are=20
loggied in on our network. File access we do with=20
Novell NetStorage, which allows access through=20
either a standard browser or through a WebDAV=20
connection. I think Active Directory also has=20
that capability. Our teacher laptops have Novell=20
iFolder, which constantly syncs a folder on the=20
laptop with our server, so if the laptop dies, computer files are safe.

One of my goals has been to make HOW people=20
access our network resources independent of WHERE=20
they are--Location independent access. (If you're=20
thinking continuity of service in the event of a=20
catastrophe, or school closure, that's part of=20
it.) And it's made me question why I have a=20
traditional network at all. :-) We just signed=20
contracts with Veracross for our student=20
information system and Finalsite for our website,=20
both of which are hosted off campus. Our Moodle=20
installation is hosted off campus as well. I'd=20
move our file storage off campus if I thought we=20
had the bandwidth but 4MB isn't quite enough to=20
make me do that yet. We also use a service for=20
our authoritative DNS and backup MX, and a different one for antispam.

I'm also not ready to try to convince people to=20
move our financial system to a hosted solution=20
like Veracross, but I'll look at that next year.=20
All of this movement frees up my staff to focus=20
on the things that we absolutely must do on=20
campus and improves support for our teachers and=20
students. It may seem a little pricier, but I'm a=20
believer because it does improve reliability. I=20
also have a friend in Hawaii who created a=20
business based on providing all support for=20
independent schools and he is expanding as people find value in the model.

Derrel

At 05:17 PM 11/20/2007 -0500, Manns, Brian wrote:
>How did you do the files and printing through the internet?

Derrel Fincher
Director of Information and Communication Technology
Graded=96The American School of S=E3o Paulo
Associa=E7=E3o Escola Graduada de S=E3o Paulo
Caixa Postal 1976
CEP 01059-970
S=E3o Paulo, SP, Brasil
dfincher@graded.br | http://www.graded.br