Monday, November 19, 2007

Re: Help with Apple Leopard OS (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED=20
Caveats: NONE

Newer Apple computers are frequently incompatible with older versions of
the OS. This has occurred many times through Apple history, most
obviously with the Intel switch (which apple was kind enough to do in
January and save us all some headaches). =20

It is likely that you can't netboot a Tiger mac until you install the
recent 10.4.11 server update but I would give that a few weeks to shake
out (As I would the Tiger Server Admin Tools). I have heard of
santarosa based macs still having issues after 10.4.11, but they have
been out in the MacBook Pro for some time so it likely the firmware and
not the chip.

Often you can use Carbon Copy Cloner, or NetRestore locally to force an
image on (http://www.bombich.com/). But this is unlikely to work in
this case given the custom Leopard on the new mac books and the likely
incompatible firmware. My new MacBook is still in Santa's workshop but
I will be testing it. =20

I would talk to your Apple rep and see if you can get older "Tiger
Compatible" MacBooks, especially if you need them in volume. They should
still have them for a few more weeks given the recent switch. Regardless
I would build a new, Tiger image and maintain two images to start
testing for next year. I had to do this with 10.4 (due to a late iBook
order) and the Intel switch. This and the discontinuation of the OS9
compatibility has caught more than a few off guard. There are ways of
custom building an installer DVD to circumvent restrictions on
installation. I have found these successful for installing new OS on to
older, unsupported machines, but never worked installing old OS on to
newer. Also of dubious legality.

Macintouch maintains a list of compatible programs that is pretty
comprehensive and includes anticipated dates for Tiger compatible
releases and tends to be more reliable than forums. Adobe CS3, for
example, is compatible with the small exception of automation:
http://www.macintouch.com/leopard/compat.html=20

As to Tiger being recalled ... There was an update released last week
and sometimes Apple stores will pull the old copies ... But it was
available in my local stores this weekend and on Amazon et al.

Hope this helps.

_J

Jason Johnson - Program Director
Web Services Branch - Walter Reed Army Medical Center Ingenium (ISO
9001:2000 certified)
Office: 202-782-1047
Cell: 202-262-0516
jason.johnson@ingenium.net