Monday, November 26, 2007

Re: Displays in School Foyers

This may be much simpler than what you are after, but it is working
nicely for our two school situation. The only expense involved is for
the displays, the computers behind or beneath them, and for the
software, in our case, iWork '08.

Our Middle and Upper school lobby display shows events from our
calendar of interest to students and parents (it does not display
faculty information such as department meetings). We have an
alternating Week 1 and Week 2 schedule, so in the US/MS school lobby,
that designation is made manifest. There is a slide for each day
which can be made to scroll nicely when a day has many events. It was
easy to modify a spare and elegant Keynote template to reflect our
Web site design. Powerpoint could probably be made to do something
reasonably similar.

Everything from the Used Skate Sale to college recruiter visits and
the lunch menu is on the MS/US Lobby display. In between the daily
slides, we add recent photos from around school or highlight upcoming
events. As a day goes by, we hide its slide using Apple Remote
Desktop, though I understand this may be done directly without ARD
under Panther. The LS display is a more general weekly display as
they have fewer daily events. We share overlapping moments between
the two displays where appropriate.

The whole thing takes about one hour per week but that work overlaps
with work already being done for the parent and student sections of
our Web site.

Lisa Pedicini
Director of Information Systems/Teacher of Grades 8 and 10 Technology
The Spence School
New York City