Thursday, April 1, 2010

Re: Language Lab

Hi Renee - My responses are below in CAPS.

-----
Steve Taffee staffee@castilleja.org
Direct of Technology 650.924.1040 (Google Voice)
Castilleja School 650.470.7725 (office)
1310 Bryant Street 415.613.6684 (mobile)
Palo Alto, CA 94301 www.castilleja.org | taffee.edublogs.org
Women Learning, Women Leading

=E2=99=BA Please consider the environment and print only when necessary. =
=E2=99=BA

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:54:49 -0700
From: Renee Ramig <rramig@sevenhillsschool.org>
Subject: Language Lab

Hi Everyone,

I know I have asked a similar question before, but I would love replies =3D
to the following if you have time:

1. Do you have a language lab at your school?

YES
If yes
2. What system are you using?
SANAKO

3. Is it totally software based, or does it also have hardware components?
SOFTWARE BASED RUNNING ON CUSTOM PC SETUP

4. Is it used in high school, middle school, or both?
HS AND MS

5. On average, how many days per week does each language teacher use it?
NOT ALL TEACHERS USE IT, BUT OF THOSE WHO DO, THEY TRY TO GET EACH CLASS IN
THERE FOR AT LEAST ONE CLASS PERIOD EACH WEEK

6. Was content purchased with the system, or do the teachers create
all their content?
THE SYSTEM COMES ONLY WITH THE LAB SOFTWARE, NO CONTENT. SO TEACHERS CREATE
ALL OF THEIR OWN.

7. How is it used - supplement to a regular class, independent study, as a
class, other?
SUPPLEMENT REGULAR INSTRUCTION WITH SPEAKING AND LISTENING ACTIVITIES. IT I=
ASO USED FOR COMPONENTS OF THEP EXAMS

8. Does the language lab have the traditional cubical type setup
with dividers separating students, or some other configuration?
THE FORMER; A TRADITIONAL SETUP

9. How long have you had the setup?
AS A DIGITAL LAB, ABOUT 6 YEARS. PRIOR TO THAT A SIMILAR SETUP USING ANALOG
EQUIPMENT FROM SONY.

10. Do the teachers seem happy with it?
MIXED. THE SYSTEM IS COMPLEX TO USE AND EASILY OUR BIGGEST SUPPORT ISSUE AT
SCHOOL.

11. Is the language lab used only for language lab or is it a multiple use
lab?
EXCLUSIVELY FOR LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION.

WHILE YOU DID NOT ASK THIS, I THINK I AM SAFE IN SAYING THAT MANY TEACHERS
SEE THE DAYS OF THE LANGUAGE LAB AS NUMBERED AS WE MOVE TO A 1-1 PROGRAM AN=
WITH THE PROLIFERATION OF SMARTPHONES AND OTHER HANDHELDS.

Thank you for your time.

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School