Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Re: Email for Alums

Continuation of discussion.....

Allison Garrett=20
Lower School Technology Coordinator
Intermediate History=20

Donoho School=20
2501 Henry Road=20
Anniston, AL 36207=20
(256) 236-4459

www.donohoschool.com

agarrett@donohoschool.com

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for independent school educators on behalf of Brian Lee
Sent: Wed 4/14/2010 12:13 PM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Email for Alums
=20
At least until they get to college or apply for a job.

I doubt that
...employers will contact a potential job candidate through Facebook.
...online college applications will send acceptance letter to their =
Facebook
account.
...banks will send their notification letters to their Facebook account.
...send homework assignments to their teachers via Facebook (though they
could)

It's one thing to use Facebook for personal contact, it's another for
business relationships.

Brian Lee
Manlius Pebble Hill School

> From: Renee Ramig <rramig@sevenhillsschool.org>
> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:34:14 -0700
> To: <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Email for Alums
>=20
> The only thing I worry about is if an alum chooses to use an email =
account
> inappropriately, there is no recourse the school can do other than =
close the
> account.
>=20
> We have been talking about emails with our alums. (We are a K-8 =
school.)
> What I have noticed is that fewer and fewer high school students use =
email. I
> have two of my own kids, and I either have to "Facebook" or text them =
if I
> need to contact them. (They are 18 and 21, and they do not live at =
home.)
> They both have email accounts, but they check them maybe once a month.
>=20
> I think we need to rethink how we are staying in contact with our =
alums. I
> love email and use it all the time, but that is not really what the =
kids use
> anymore.
>=20
> Renee Ramig
> Seven Hills School
>=20

[ For info on ISED-L see =
https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=3D128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =