Friday, February 12, 2010

Re: SIS Names configuration help

Gentleman,

I definitely see your point re: data structure as it is easy to add that =
field. However, when you note divorce/remarry as an equivalent to what De=
rrel has asked regarding "Beatriz Isabela Seixas dos Santos Cardoso" and =
her last name it is not the same. In her case the preferred last name mos=
t likely is based on culture, no? (correct me if I am wrong there Derrel =
as the below would then not apply).=20

Here in the United States, people who divorce/remarry legally take on tha=
t new last name (and really don't want anything to do with their old name=
=20- at least in my experience with families). In the case of "Beatriz Is=
abela Seixas dos Santos Cardoso" it appears to be a matter of "official" =
or "legal" last name of record for government purposes in that country no=
ting that her official name is her given name and from where she hails wh=
ich is the need for the preferred last name.

Perhaps the conversation should not be centered around preferred last nam=
e field as much as it should be structured around designing the system to=
=20have a report for travel document and/or government reporting purposes=
=20that may pull from a secondary last name field?

Just my two cents...

Disclaimer: Ravenscroft School is also a Veracross client.
------
Jason T. Ramsden; CTO @ Ravenscroft School (Raleigh, NC - USA)
Mobile: 919.337.2244