Sunday, February 28, 2010

Re: The most tweeted remark from the 2010 NAIS annual conference...

I think what Fred says is absolutely true and right on target. Getting
it done will be harder than passing health care reform and it's going
to be many of us who stand in the way. Having said that I suspect that
our resistance could be driven by an aversion to radical change
because that change will not be understood by our clients. It will be
a long hard sell to convince people that our children will be better
served by moving our program to a very different paradigm.

---Steve

On Sunday, February 28, 2010, Fred Bartels <fredbartels@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... has to be a great quip by Pat Bassett inthe session "The Power of
> Transformation: Disrupting your Institution to Make it Relevant."
>
> There are a number of versions out there of what Pat said, but they all are
> close variations of the following:
>
> "The death of education as we know it may lead to learning as we need it."
>
> A live blog of the session by Jason Ramsden is available here:
> http://bit.ly/dkfWZe
> (A huge thanks to Jason and others (http://bit.ly/d4Sz3K) for making the
> conference come alive for virtual attendees!)
>
> But back to Pat's interesting observation, which seemed to resonate so
> strongly with the edtech folks.
>
> I can imagine John Dewey smiling benevolently on hearing this statement. I
> can also imagine many Heads having a somewhat different expression.
>
> Curious what others think?
>
> Fred
>
> --
> Fred Bartels
> Thinking about learning as we need it here:
> http://eva2.wikispaces.com/
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Stephen Edele
Head of School
The Harbor School
Vashon, WA