Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Re: Science and math software programs for elementary students

We have stopped buying software that focuses in on specific subjets and =
moved to focusing in on project-based software that can be used across =
grades and for any subject area. Websites/tools are used for subject =
specific coverage. (Check out Gizmos at explorelearning.com which is =
focused on science and math and is very good.)
=20
Some of the software we use a lot:
=20
Inspiration / Kidspiration (Note: www.mywebspiration, the online =
version in Inspiration, is still be offered for free.)
=20
Smart Notebook (We do have Smartboards in some classes, but all our =
students and teachers use this software even without Smartboards. The =
new math tools add-on is quite comprehensive.)
=20
Powerpoint / Keynote / Impress - Most of us have at least one of these =
tools, and they are quick and easy to use.
=20
Pixie 2 - Drawing and animation
=20
WebBlender / Rapidweaver - Quick easy website creation
=20
Comic Life=20
=20
Some of the online things we use:
=20
Discovery Streaming - Lots of videos as well as other resources
=20
BrainPop Jr. - Short animated videos the kids love
=20
Gizmos - Math and Science=20
=20
Eduction City - Review and Remediation ideally for K-2
=20
ALEKS - We use the Quicktables subscription for students that need =
review and the full ALEKS for our accelerated kids
=20
Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School