Monday, February 22, 2010

Re: headphones/mic for podcasting

Nice thread...

We are in the same boat as everyone it seems. I have been focusing on this=
problem a bit more recently as we continue to add more and more multi-medi=
a to our program. I have used these headsets and about ten others. They s=
eem to be the best without spending a hundred bucks per headset. Proactive=
ly taping the USB connector is a good thing.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. The USB mic and headphone (and in fact any USB audio device) actually =
have their sound card built-in to the device. This is why you have to manu=
ally switch to a different device. It is in fact a separate sound card devi=
ce with software drivers etc. It makes no sense to me that you cannot defa=
ult to the device if it is always plugged in. Perhaps you can default, but=
in an operation where laptops get put away this is not enough anyways.
2. Macs do come with a microphone input (technically a line in). However=
, this input is not powered and requires a preamp. I have found one for $2=
9.00 and am actually investigating the building of one for $5. These ampli=
fy the input power so you can record using standard headphones with a mic c=
able or any audio microphone. Most preamps cost over a hundred bucks by th=
emselves and some hundreds of dollars. They cost a lot due to the technolo=
gy that filters the power interference.
3. Apple uses the USB microphones because they are the easiest. What App=
le does not seem to understand is the frustration that accumulates with tea=
chers and students and a USB device.

My next steps will be to investigate Greg's idea of a script firing, via a =
service that is always running I suppose, to assign the USB device. Any sc=
ript guys out there have a fancy to chase this down and become a hero??

Cheers,
Matt

On 2/22/10 7:44 AM, "Allison Garrett" <agarrett@donohoschool.com> wrote:

Most definitely. I have been to a couple of Apple-sponsored workshops on p=
odcasts, and they always use the USB headphones/ mics.

Allison Garrett
Lower School Technology Coordinator
Intermediate History

Donoho School