Monday, July 6, 2009

Re: Corrupted DNS Entry

Renee:

Do you only have the one DNS server internally? If so, Ryan's
approach should do the trick...though I would only do this if you have
a full backup of the server including the system state. Never poke an
AD/DNS server with sticks unless you have a way of unpoking it.
Otherwise, you may have no network at all!

If not, you may need to repeat the procedures on the
secondary/downline internal DNS servers as well. The trick in a multi
DNS environment is to do the fix and take the server offline then
repeat the steps on the other server and only then bring them back
online...otherwise you may inadvertently replicate the corrupt entry.

I would also recommend reviewing the event logs for DNS on the server
to see if there is more going wrong (especially in a multi AD/DNS
server environment as this could be a DNS replication issue).

TJ

Sent from my mobile device

TJ Rainsford
E: tjrainsford@gmail.com