Monday, September 29, 2008

Re: Using Google for Domains

Please keep this thread open.

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for independent school educators
[mailto:ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Keith E Gatling
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 10:42 AM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Using Google for Domains

Once again, I'm going to suggest to our technology people here (I'm just
the
humble teacher) that we consider looking into Google for Domains as a
way to
do all of our email here. In the past there were concerns about being
first-adopters, and wanting to know if other independent schools had
done
it, and what their experiences were. I figure that enough time has
passed
and that enough of you out there may have gone that route, that I can
get
some really useful information.

Among the questions I have are:

1. How smooth was the transition from one system (say Exchange) to
the
other?
2. What happened with group email addresses that you might have been
able
to create for the entire population under the old system?
3. What happens to students once they graduate? How do their accounts
migrate to regular Gmail accounts?
4. What about the calendaring function? We're currently using the
Exchange calendar system.
5. Can you create your own custom email address format, like
ckent1938@mph.net

Those are just the questions I have at the moment.

Thanks for your help!
--=20
keg

* *
Keith E Gatling - Computer Instructor
Manlius Pebble Hill School
5300 Jamesville Rd
DeWitt, NY 13214
315.446.2452
http://www.gatling.us/keith

Some teachers teach subjects. Others teach students.
* *