Monday, September 29, 2008

Re: smart boards vs laptops with projectors

I have worked in over 100 nais schools and for the content I present I
really like the smart board simply beacause my writing on it is saved and
notes are emailed to all students at the end of class.
Discussion can be documented and disected right there when students write on
the board.
I show clips and keep my lessons on a 4 gig jumpdrive so I can teach in any
classroom in the school as well as open my email box and put the students
homework in their own document on the board for review discussion and
collective learning while they have their laptops open and edit their own
document with the encouragement of other students. Also I can grade the
assignment in class on my laptop which is a separate machine from the PC
that is in class running the smart board.

I say smartboard and laptop are the future.
Charlie Miller

VIP Prevention Coaching and Seminars.
Coral Springs, Ft Lauderdale, Coconut Grove, West Palm Beach, Florida.
954-655-9380c 954-788-9717 vm
PreventionSeminars@Juno.com
PreventionSeminars.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Debbie Anderson" <DAnderson@mcleanschool.org>
To: <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 1:02 PM
Subject: smart boards vs laptops with projectors


I was wondering if any of you had recommendation about interactive
technology for classrooms. My school is having a debate between the
value of smart boards vs. tablet with a projector.

I can see the value of the smart board for math, science and lower
school. In other disciplines, it seems to me that a tablet with a
projector functions similarly at about half of the expense.

What should the classroom of the future look like?

Are interactive necessary or a high priced prop?

What technology do teachers need and use daily?

Thanks for the input,'

Debbie Anderson

Webmaster/ Upper School Technology Coordinator

McLean School of Maryland

240.395.0661

danderson@mcleanschool.org


[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,
non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L