Monday, September 22, 2008

Re: Academic technology v. technology education

David,

I will weigh in to argue that if there were no stonecutters today our
buildings that require work or repair, or our attempts to create such
buildings, would be impossible to manage. The argument we all hear in
our schools is the fear of loss of those traditional, mostly manual,
skills in the rush to modernize. It is an eternal dilemma as seen in the
history of the pencil vs the slate, etc.=20

So how do we balance the knowledge of skills that seem irrelevant but we
don't want to be lost to history, and encourage those we consider
necessary for the 21st Century? This is the question every "old school"
teacher will confront us with at every turn...

Jenni