Friday, September 19, 2008

Re: ESL students

I agree. =20

We have a large population of International Students who require ESL =
support. We require that students have a minimum level of English =
proficiency as reflected by their SLEP score or TOEFL score before =
admission. If they fall below our level, we have University of Miami on =
site that offers language instruction at the most basic level. =20

Once the student reaches the level of proficiency, they transfer back to =
our school and are offered ESL and grade level classes. We never place =
a student down a grade level in mainstream English. Once a student is =
exited from ESL, they take grade level English. =20

Would it be possible for your school to allow the student to take grade =
10 English for audit and provide tutorial support in lieu of ESL? I =
would also suggest explaining to the family that the level of English =
may delay the estimated graduation date. =20

I hope this helps. Good Luck!=20

Melanie Johnson
Director of Academics
The Pendleton School