Thursday, September 18, 2008

Re: Schoolkit or Learning.com?

I have used Schoolkit's EdClass and PDpoint. I'm actually quite a fan.
The EdClass includes many little projects to learn skills in applied
ways. It encourages problem solving and independent work. I used them
in a middle school computer class. We also had teachers that used the
lessons across the curriculum. =20

We eventually outgrew the product as teachers and students gained the
literacy to come up with projects on their own. The ones they made on
their own matched their own curriculum better but the kids were a little
bummed because they weren't as "cool."

PDpoint offers really good stuff but some of my teachers just really
couldn't jive well with online (or even hybrid) learning. Those who
used it got a lot out of it but some really didn't ever engage.
However, if you are looking for a solution with bottom-up choices and
top-down accountability...it's a good product at a very good price,
relative to the market.

The folks at Schoolkit really get constructivist learning. They do
their homework and deliver good stuff.

Take care,
Alex

Alex Inman