Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Re: Headphones

We've struggled with the headphone issue over the years. We've tried
putting them in ziplock bags that students had to check out, and we've
tried hanging them on 3M hooks stuck to the side of the computers.
Until this year, we've always gone with lightweight, inexpensive
headphones that have long cables, with the result that they fall on
the floor and get stepped on, kids trip over the cables, or the
headphones simply break under rough treatment.

This year we're trying a different tack. We bought substantially
bigger headphones (although still inexpensive) that have coiled cables
that don't go all the way down to the floor. We hung them to the back
of our flat-screen iMacs with over-the-door hooks that are attached to
the computer with velcro tape. The headphones are big enough that
they won't get accidently stepped on, and we hope they'll last a bit
longer than previous ones. We used these hooks from the container
store, and here's a photo of our setup.

Thus far the middle-school students have been good about hanging up
the headphones after use. A couple of pairs disappeared from our high
school lab, so the rest have been zip-tied to the computer
(headphones, not students). I'll let you know at the end of the year
how this setup held up.

Hope this helps,
- marty

--