Monday, September 22, 2008

Re: Academic technology v. technology education

I wasn't advocating extinction of stone masons. But I am advocating that there is a very
limited need for that skill today. I still write in calligraphic style, I still read
books, I listen to storytellers, I take notes, I play recorder, penny whistle and guitar
(a newer version of the lute and lyre, btw). I admire the skills of that stone mason. I
do like antiquities, I am trained as an historian. But, Socrates cannot be allowed to
drive the conversation. He was wrong - the written word is good.

I do not advocate throwing the baby out with the bath water. But too often the
contestation starts with the"old school" resistance to change. Until we have an open
discussion that starts with the idea that change is necessary we cannot successfully
proceed to determine the balance we all seek: what skills are necessary to develop, what
content is vital to maintain and how we can make that meaningful to our charges.