Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Language Lab

Our language teachers looked at labs as well as some of the online
options. We decided not to purchase a hardware-based lab, but rather
look at tools that could be used with the Windows-based laptops we
already invested in. In addition, the teachers wanted something that
students could use at home as well as at school.

We are trying out Tell Me More this year. It is an online language
program. Our training is tomorrow, so we haven't started using it yet.
The good part is, it is reasonable enough to be able to try for a year
and see if it is a good fit for our language teachers. In addition to
Tell Me More, we will continue to use a variety of Web 2.0 tools for
students to get practice using their language.

Renee Ramig
Director of Technology
Seven Hills School

"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence
stops."=20
-- Henry Brooks Adams

From: Julia Tebbets <jtebbets@GMAIL.COM>
Subject: language labs

Thank you to all contributors for the useful information regularly
shared on this list!

I would like to hear from anyone with a satisfactory solution to your
school's digital language lab needs. Do you have a carrel-based,
dedicated language lab (such as Sanako, Sony)? A multi-use computer
lab with language and recording software (which type)? Programs
running on laptops (which programs)?

Our language teachers' objectives involve delivering audio and video
content, recording, and playing back students' voices for partner work
and testing, including AP preparation and testing. Having used
traditional lab carrels, some object to trying laptops on the grounds
that the lack of carrels could increase distractions and strain
academic honesty during testing. If you do not have carrels, have
your teachers been challenged by these issues?

An ideal solution would be cost-effective, Windows-compatible, simple
enough to allow successful daily operation by faculty without tech
staff intervention, and would permit use of the computer hardware by
other groups than the language department.

Best,
Julia Tebbets

Julia -=20

Castilleja School has had a Sanako lab for the past several years and I
would say that teachers are largely happy with it. It uses traditional
lab carrels, with 19 student computers and 1 teacher console with dual
monitors. They find the system to be
particularly helpful in preparing students for AP exams and for
administering the speaking and listening portions of the exam itself. We
enjoy a good relationship with our vendor, Americal.

That said, I am not sure about the viability of the lab-based
instructional model over time. It's my opinion (and should not be taken
to represent that of our language teachers) that the future of language
instruction lies with smaller devices
accompanied by a much more student-centric model. So as I envision our
future with the lab, I can envision one refresh of the Windows
workstations in the lab, but not beyond that. I'm much more interested
in engaging our language faculty in discussions
of Web 2.0 technologies, MP3 recorders, long-distance instruction, and
interdisciplinary courses which do not rely on a dedicated lab space
that (to invoke a currently discredited aphorism) "puts lipstick on a
pig." Coupled with what many people see as
the tyranny of APs and the move among some schools to other forms of
advanced language teaching, I would hazard that labs may not enjoy a
long life.

-----
Treat each piece of paper as precious and reduce waste - don't print
electronic documents.
-----
Steve Taffee 650.470.7725 (office)
Director of Technology 415.613.6684 (mobile)
Castilleja School 650.326.8036 (fax)
1310 Bryant Street steve_taffee@castilleja.org =20
Palo Alto, CA 94301 www.castilleja.org
taffee.edublogs.org