Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Re: Best Platform for a New School

Our laptop program has been running on SUSE Linux with a suite of
OpenSource tools for three years now. I had the opportunity to run a
laptop program with Windows for 4 years prior to launching this program.

My experience is that Kevin's concern with regard to usability and
comfort are somewhat justified. Adults, in general, accept change more
slowly. However, the switch from Mac to Windows was about the same as
Windows to Linux. Students, on the other hand, are quite different.
The adoption rate was quite swift.

Also, once the community has been trained on how to add repositories or
understand that an .rpm is the same as .msi (Windows) or .dmg, they
become quite impressed with the resources out there. The biggest issue
becomes games. We've got a few kids playing with the CrossOver product
designed to run Windows games on Linux.

All three platforms are solid and offer varying plusses and minuses.
Mac is my pick for usability, Linux is my pick for cost and tech
literacy, and Windows is my pick for software availability.

Take care,
Alex

Alex Inman
Director of Technology