Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Re: Best Platform for a New School

Just a few additional thoughts:=20

1. Spend on bandwidth until it hurts.
2. If you are providing laptops to students, forget about having a tradit=
ional network except for authentication, and then just let them plug into=
the Internet and access your printers through the Internet, and even fin=
d a hosting service for file storage. The individual platform is not so i=
mportant, but a good infrastructure is.=20
3. Plan on eliminating all servers. Difficult, if not impossible, but go=
in with the ideas that you don't need them. Instead, look for hosted sol=
utions (ASP) for your needs. Most are designed to be accessed through a b=
rowser for most functions so the platform for the majority of your users =
is irrelevant. For the few power users that need a client instead of a br=
owser, buy whatever the client supports. (Hosted may look like it costs m=
ore, but you don't need IT people with really deep skills--you need those=
with broad skills).=20
4. For your clerical staff, and even many of your teachers, spring for du=
al monitors and put in plenty of memory. Those two together have been th=
e biggest productivity improvement for the buck and your clerical staff w=
ill love you. (People will tell you they don't need two until they actua=
lly use two--I've only had a couple tell me to remove the second monitor.=
=20

Derrel
<484F9E17.6AE3.00C8.0@shadysideacademy.org>, David Liebmann