Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Re: Continuing the discussion about the ISED-L availability on the web and as an RSS feed

Hello, Peter,

Sorry to hear you're battling the flu -- I wish you a
speedy recovery.

RE: "I hadn't realized that content posted to a
CC-licensed site could be issued a different CC or
none at all."

Actually, it is one CC license that governs the site.
However, as I understand it (and take this for what
it's worth, as IANAL) the copyright for work published
under a CC license remains with the original author.
The CC license governs distribution, not ownership;
and the Attribution clause allows the copyright holder
to specify how, in the case of redistribution, they
would like their authorship/copyright recognized.

The thing with the attribution clause is that people
rarely specify how they want to be credited, which
tends to undercut the effectiveness of the clause.

If a person wants to relinquish all rights to
something they have created, they should probably
release it into the Public Domain.

RE the caveat on list messages, it could probably be
reworked to:
"Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative
commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike
license as defined here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Copyright of individual posts remains with the poster,
although people contributing to the list should be
aware that they are posting to a list that is publicly
available."

Similar terms generally govern contributions to open
source documentation -- for example, the Drupal
handbooks have comparable terms, although they
recognize the entire handbook as a community entity:
http://drupal.org/node/14307

RE: "P.S. Is this your blog you were referring to:
http://www.funnymonkey.com/blog/1?" -- yes, that's one
of the places I call home :)

I agree that this has been a fascinating discussion --
I look forward to hearing what other people have to
contribute to the conversation.

Cheers,

Bill

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs