Thursday, January 3, 2008

Re: a question about advanced degrees

We have the following policy:

The School encourages teachers to pursue Master's degrees and, within
the limits detailed below, helps fund programs that are directly
relevant to the teacher's work at the School. First-time applicants
should have discussions with their principal and the dean of faculty
about the program they hope to pursue. If the program is approved, the
dean and the teacher will map out a plan for school support of the work.
Given sufficient notice, the School can pay individual tuition bills in
advance; an applicant who has approval also may pay the bill and apply
for reimbursement. Upon completion of each course, a transcript or grade
report should be sent to the dean in lieu of a written report.
Under normal circumstances, the School financially supports first
Master's programs only. Funds may be used only for course tuition and
books and other materials required for courses. The School does not pay
tuition charged for post-coursework thesis research and writing. The
School currently contributes $2000 per person per year for graduate
coursework, to a maximum of $6000 over three years. (In special cases
where a teacher is able to complete a degree program in just two years,
the School may commit as much as $3000 per person per year for Master's
coursework, again to a maximum of $6000.)

We ruled out support for doctorates several years ago, having found that
too many folks would get the coursework done, then soak us dry while
dragging their feet at the dissertation stage. In addition, while there
is some evidence that having a Master's degree results in better
teaching, no such evidence exists for doctorates.

As for the expense of coursework, I don't think it is any worse than a
typical conference, which, lasting 2-4 days, can cost, with hotel,
registration, travel, and food, well over $1000. Maybe that's an
argument to stop supporting teachers' attendance at conferences!

Jim
--
Jim Dunaway
Dean of Faculty