Thursday, January 3, 2008

Re: a question about advanced degrees

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on
Thursday, January 03, 2008 at 8:16 AM -0500 wrote:
>1. Does your school fund faculty who pursue advanced degrees?
Yes.

>2. If so, how much money do you give per year or per degree?
I think it's $1200.

>3. Are there any restriction on the type of degree that can be pursued?
>(i.e. master's but not PhD? only in a subject directly related to the
>teaching discipline?)
There's an assumption the degree will help the school. No one that I know
of has ever applied to get a degree unrelated to the school.

>4. Do you have any requirements that go along with this funding (perhaps
>requiring a commitment after the degree of three years or repay the
>money, etc)?
There's an assumption the faculty members will work at least one year
beyond getting the funding.

Take care,
Bill Ivey
Stoneleigh-Burnham School