Monday, January 7, 2008

Re: Freshman Physics

We (the kids, parents, faculty, admin) love the PCB sequence. We've been
doing it for three years with great success.

1. Prior to offering physics in ninth grade, all of our freshmen took
Introductory Physical Science (IPS). When we decided to implement the PCB
sequence, we simply dissolved our eighth grade integrated science class
and moved IPS down one grade--with the appropriate adjustments, of course.
Because we already required chemistry in tenth grade and biology in
eleventh, it was rather seamless. Girls Preparatory school in Chattanooga
made the change much earlier than us and had to maneuver the biology
shift. You might want to give the a call if you don't hear something
online. They presented on this exact topic at a Tennessee Association of
Independent Schools conference several years ago.

2. We still offer physics to students in grades 11/12. Lots of our kids
have an interest in engineering, so they can choose from a trigonometry
based physics course or Physics C--Mechanics. We are phasing out Physics
B this year.

3. Nope.

4. This worked out fine. We were growing at the time. Our eighth grade
science teacher began teaching upper school physics and math courses the
next year. She simply moved up, and we found a teacher for conceptual
physics.

Have fun with it!
JP