Saturday, September 22, 2007

Re: When you find a hacker...

On 9/19/07, Meany, Catherine <cmeany@boston.k12.ma.us> wrote:

> FYI: Accessing others' email is a federal crime covered by wiretapping
> laws. You should know that once you discover this breach, beyond the
> initial discovery, you will also be liable for breaking this law if you
> access emails or even read stolen emails. Stop immediately and contact
> the authorities.

This piece here sounds very interesting, and I'd like to get this clarified
before I put this out to all of my students. In particular, what exactly is
meant by "accessing others' email"? Is this just the obvious breaking into
the account, or does it also cover messing with someone's email that they
left open for a moment while they went to the bathroom?
And realistically, what can we legally do if we don't know who the cretin
was who sent the questionable email from the naive/lazy student's account?

More important, the couple of students I mentioned this to want to know does
this mean that *the school* can't legally look at or mess with their
*school-hosted* email? I suspect that we can because it's on our servers,
just as any business can look into what's on their servers.

I would suppose that "spoofing" another student's email address is about as
illegal as putting someone else's return address on a snailmail letter - not
very (Or is it? I'm often surprised by what's illegal.).

--
keg

Keith E Gatling - Computer Instructor
Manlius Pebble Hill School
5300 Jamesville Rd
DeWitt, NY 13214
315.446.2452
http://www.gatling.us/keith

Some teachers teach subjects. Others teach students.

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a Creative Commons license.