Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Re: Nonschool issued laptops ... laptop management

We've got 20 laptops, and have purchased 40 battery packs for them. The
battery packs are kept in chargers (2 sixteen pocket Fast Battery
Chargers, from Datamation) behind the desk, and we do manage the
swapping in/out of batteries. The laptops are barcoded and kept in a
lockable shelf across from the main desk, and the cabinet is unlocked
and open during the day (so we can see at a glance how many laptops are
out at any given time). The student brings us the laptop, we zap it
into our circ system and check it out to student, and at the same time
we give them the battery to insert. =20

Upon return, student brings laptop (turned off) to desk. It's zapped
into circ program, checked in, student takes battery out and returns
laptop to shelves in cabinet.

We have more batteries than slots in the charger, so we always have 8
extras charged and ready to go, waiting on the side. =20

So far it's slick as a whistle. No cords, no plugging in, no
electrocution... because we have 2x the batteries needed, we never
(knock wood) lose capacity due to power issues.

Shannon Acedo
Head Librarian
Harvard-Westlake Upper School
3700 Coldwater Canyon Avenue