Thursday, September 20, 2007

Re: diversity initiatives and programs

Hello Bill,

We have a number of diversity-related programs that I think have been
successful in inching us along in the process of being a more inclusive
school. These include:

An All-School Diversity committee that includes teachers, administrators,
parents, trustess, students, and staff, that meets more or less monthly.
This link describes more:
http://community.pcds.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=429&srcid=219
One of this group's successful projects last year was an assessment of our
school's inclusivity and multiculturalism. It's called AIM, a program of
NAIS; more info at

http://www.wcwonline.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89
3&Itemid=149&Itemid=54/

We have a program called Project Excellence that has been ongoing for 20
years that targets students in low-income school district who are labeled as
gifted and whose parents did not go to college. There are a number of
weekend workshops and a 5-week summer program. With about 100 participants
each year, we have about 18 who are now matriculated at our school. Here is
more information on our website:
http://community.pcds.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=320&srcid=242

We also have a monthly faculty seminar called SEED (Seeking Educational
Equity and Diversity) that is run by a group from the Wellesley Centers for
Women. Here's a link:
http://www.wcwonline.org/seed

And finally, we've sent faculty members to the NAIS People of Color
Conference and students to the associated Student Diversity Leadership
Conference for a number of years now.
http://www.nais.org/pocc/?sn.ItemNumber=147873
http://www.nais.org/equity/index.cfm?Itemnumber=147342&sn.ItemNumber=147355&
tn.ItemNumber=147377