Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Re: Connecting Nonschool issued laptops to your school's network

We permit, and encourage students to bring their own computers to
school, we do not issue or have school laptops.

As we do not have servers with storage or that people connect to we
have few concerns as to security. We do check the windows PC's for
anti-virus software before permitting them to connect.

We keep the wireless network separate from the wired one and the
Administration computer are on a physically separate network that can
not be accessed from the academic one.

We have students with Windows, Mac and Linux based laptops. They are
not permitted to use their laptop in place of their assigned OS of the
day unless their personal computer is off the assigned type. For
example if a student was due to use Windows on a particular day they
could not use their personal Mac instead they must use the one of the
lab's Windows computers for that day. Every third day they have a
different OS assigned to them Windows, Mac, Linux.

Greg