Sunday, September 30, 2007

Re: Archiving email and limiting attachment size

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>I have made it a general rule to avoid saying no to anybody requesting
>services or assistance from me. I won't necessarily provide what is
>requested, but I will find an alternate solution or a future date on
>which I can meet the requested need. Standing on a soapbox of principle
>is often a straw man when placed under scrutiny. A current example: my
>10th grade students should know what a thesis statement is, but some do
>not. I would never deny assistance and support as a matter of principle
>because teachers do what they have to do. So, despite what they might
>think about the skills deficiencies of their students, we will fill the
>gap because that is what we do. It is what I did as an IT director and
>what I still do as a teacher.

I have made a general rule, as well. And I do find solutions. But, too often I am making
more effort than the person who is responsible for his/her equipment. I do not get
frustrated by incidental mistakes, nor events that have long intervals. Everyone forgets,
everyone errs, everyone overlooks easy solutions (including me), but when I take my auto
in and something is wrong and I forgot to do something (add oil, take it to JiffyLube) I
do not get mad at the mechanic nor do I tell the auto manufacturer that this was their
fault.

It does seem to me that the adults of institutions should be responsible for the tools we
expect them to use. I am more than happy to instruct, assist in solving problems, and
provide infrastructure support. And I am forgiving of mistakes people make. Still, too
often, problems and preventable disasters become my fault.

Certainly, where expected skills are not present we should expect to fill the gap. We do
not write the thesis statement for our students; we work with them to achieve that skill.
But both parties must participate in the transference of skills and take responsibility
for those skills. We expect our students to do so; should we expect less of our
colleagues?

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a Creative Commons license.