Saturday, September 29, 2007

Re: Archiving email and limiting attachment size

In all of these analogies, I've used them myself, what's missed is that the user *owns*
the car. In our effort to bring the faculty along we have provided the tools needed to
accomplish the job. As a carpenter, I provided my own tools, as an auto mechanic I
provided my own tools (expensive at my pay grade), and as a free lance consultant I
provided all of my tools (computer, scanner, digital camera, video camera, paper, pencil,
etc.) and above all else I provided my transportation.

Too often a teacher or staff member knocks on my door with the expectation that I will
provide basic services: rebooting a computer, plugging it into the wall, recharging a
dead battery, etc. all the way up to data recovery magician (liquid poured into the
laptop). While some of the services seem appropriate, the lack of ownership by the
faculty of his/her tools is a form of passive resistance. I am not expected, nor is
anyone else, to provide pencil sharpening, pen replacement (or ink replacement), dropping
off chalk or dry erasers because they don't work any more and the like. Faculty does take
responsibility for that. Why? Because they are familiar with these tools. Our support
staff is certainly expected to become competent, often more competent than our
professional staff, at his/her job.

We are in the education profession. Our tools are the ways we communicate and educate.
Shouldn't we expect our professionals to provide their own tools? We know we (IT
departments) can provide software that is cross platform, including Linux flavors, for
software tools to communicate with parents, students, faculty and the world. I am
beginning to wonder whether it is now the time to expect that the hardware tool of choice
be left to the faculty member and to expect that be the responsibility of the faculty
member. [Certainly schools can and perhaps ought to assist with a financing option and/or
partial grant (need based) program.]

Ownership is responsibility. If I do not maintain my car (car analogy returns) and I blow
my engine, I have to take responsibility for that failure.

Thoughts, reactions?
>

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a Creative Commons license.