Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Re: Connecting Nonschool issued laptops to your school's network

Hi, Dave.

Yes, the outside laptops are fully integrated into our 1:1 program. We allow students to purchase them, but we only do minimal service on them (software only). They get a loaner if they need one, for up to two weeks.... then they are charged $20.00 per
day (b/c typically they are dragging their feet on getting their machine repaired). The outside laptops are used in the same manner as the school laptops... we allow any OS. We have been 1:1 for 7 years and started off as requiring only one machine,
but kids are so much for savvy today than they were 7 years ago, that they are able to have something different than what other kids may have. We try and make the ThinkPads that we offer a very attractive option (pricing and service being the top two)
so that they will buy those rather than a $500 Dell (just as an example). We do offer tablets to our kids as well as the R61... so tablets are integrated in the same manner.. some kids have them, some kids don't. Our 1:1 is very much just a part of
what we do here... and we try to make it as easy as possible for all students to participate in a meaningful and affordable way.

Hope this info. helps!

Also.... you are using Senior Systems at your school... right? How do you like it? We are trying to choose between PCR and SS.

Stewart Crais
Director of Technology and Information Services
Lausanne Collegiate School
1381 West Massey Road
Memphis, TN 38120
(901) 474-1031 (v)