Thursday, December 2, 2010

Re: Full server backup/image

Are you referring to a Windows or a Mac server?

I do a complete backup of my Mac server using Carbon Copy Cloner. I copy the entire HD to an external HD then I boot to the external HD just to make sure it functions. If the server HD dies or gets corrupted (which has happened in the past) I can just
plug in the external drive and at least function from my last backup. The only bad thing is that all services need to stop during the backup.

I'm not sure what you could use for a Windows server and I wonder if it gets more complicated depending on your RAID level.

Christine Moore
Network Administrator
Friends Academy
1088 Tucker Road
N. Dartmouth, MA 02747
508-999-1356
www.friendsacademy1810.org

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>Hi all,
>
>After having my email server crash last week, I realized that just
>backing up data isn't enough - I really need to have a back up of the
>actual machine with all the settings, configurations, etc. More like an
>image of the hard drive(s) so that it could be recreated should it be
>needed. Anyone do this? Have suggestions for
>software/appliances/services? BTW, we currently back up data using a
>Barracuda appliance, but I haven't contacted them directly yet to
>inquire about full server backup capabilities.
>
>
>TIA!!
>
>
>
>Bernadette Roche
>
>Director of Technology
>
>Oakhill Day School
>
>www.oakhilldayschool.org
>
>816.436.6228
>
>
>
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
>RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L
>

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L