Saturday, February 13, 2010

Re: A Better Name Than "Info Studies"

Maybe my experience will give you some ideas. I created a course in
2003 that I called Explorations, planned for three levels in the same
class, Explorations I, II, and III. First timers were in Explorations
I, which was more structured. For example, they each downloaded a book
of their choice from Project Gutenberg, formatted it properly (TOC,
Index, Figures, page numbers, etc) and illustrated it with embedded
photos. I gave them very little direct instruction, but did work with
them on how to find help. The final submission was the word processing
document. Later in the semester, they started their own projects.
Explorations II and III students worked on more complex projects that
they defined and they took on more responsibility for helping the ones
in Explorations I. I had students do videos, animations, build
computers, etc., and many of these were very personal, such as the one
done as a goodbye video for a friend who was leaving. I did some
grading of Explorations I students, but mostly I had students
periodically write a short reflection, then for the quarter grade they
had to do a longer reflection using a grading rubric as their guide.
In that reflection, they had to name their grade, then justify it by
citing examples in their projects and of their learning. Almost
without exception, that is what ended up on their report card as it
focused on how far they had come, not on where they ended up.
--=20
Derrel Fincher
Director of Information and Communication Technology
Graded - The American School of S=E3o Paulo
http://www.graded.br | (55 11) 3747-4800 x160