Monday, June 9, 2008

Re: CYBERBULLYING: A Rallying Cry Against Cyberbullying

Just to throw a bit of a spanner in the works to this discussion about
cyber-bullying, just last week a report on Internet uses and abuses by
teenagers was released here in Quebec from a survey recently taken here. I
particularly appreciated the way it pointed out that cyberbullying is
USUALLY an extension of what is going on in face-to-face contacts and not
merely limited to electronic interactions.

Also, from the study, the following quote:

Despite the frequency and severity of bullying, many students often reject
assertions that their on-line worlds are dangerous and urge adults to
understand cyber-social networks in light of the positive impact it has on
their lives. Teens report that the networks facilitate and extend their
social interactions. Examples they cite include organizing events,
connecting with likeminded peers, and exposure to others whom they would not
normally meet. Common in these reactions is identifying the capacity of the
Internet to help students transcend the local boundaries of school and
geography which traditionally have restricted their social communities.

I believe it is important to examine this problem as an extension of "real
life" bullying and that we must be careful not to demonize the tools of the
Internet as we cope with this problem.

The complete report to this important study can be found here:

http://www.qesba.qc.ca/en/index.shtml

I have heard through the academic grapevine that the results to the survey
were not what they expected or were looking for - which was a high level of
teens and teachers feeling threatened by interactions that take place on the
Internet. In fact, the majority of respondents reported that the Internet
provided more positive interactions than negative. However, it did point to
a need for more and better opportunities for education for appropriate and
healthy uses of the Internet.

Just my two cents' worth....

Sharon Peters