Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Re: Best Platform for a New School

David:

I think that to some degree the question indicates an assumption=97 that =
=20
schools are, or should be, either Mac or PC. I believe this to be a =20
fallacy. The assumptions through the years were that they could not =20
interact, that there was exclusive software for one or the other, or =20
that the costs were significantly higher for one over the other. If =20
any of this was ever true, it is not now.

My observations in working with dozens and dozens of schools, is that =20=

mixed environments that are flexible are the most functional. My =20
personal opinion is that 70% Mac, 30% PC seems to be a good mix. There =20=

are some physical plant, HVAC, business office application needs that =20=

simply don't have many Mac options. On the other hand, insisting on =20
PCs only for students really makes activities like photo, video, =20
blogging, etc much more onerous. There certainly are PC options, but =20
iMovie vs anything PC is not really a comparison.

Nearly all the common applications started as Mac only but now are =20
cross platform, (though many PC only shops think they are PC only). =20
MSOffice, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, PageMaker/Indesign, =20
FileMaker etc are all cross platform. Browsers work on both platforms =97=20=

though there are some websites which do not work well with Mac =20
browsers. That is diminishing and usually not relevant in a school =20
environment. Macs can run Windows now, so Macs can be PC's if needed.

There are OpenSource choices and others may have opinions on =20
standardizing here. My feeling is that going this route puts the =20
school at risk long term. The highest cost of ownership is not =20
purchase price.

My thought is that a school should not be one platform or the other. =20
Each platform has strengths and weaknesses. Troubleshooting all kinds =97=20=

network issues, printing issues, security issues=97 is easier when there =
=20
are multiple machines available.

At the same time, as stated above, schools need to think far beyond =20
purchase price when thinking about Mac vs. PC's for student machines, =20=

administrative machines and teacher equipment. Virus risks, breakdown =20=

rates, training, security, software effectiveness, machine longevity, =20=

and other factors will dwarf purchase costs in total cost of ownership =20=

to the school.

Congrats on the new school...

Best
Kevin

On Jun 11, 2008, at 9:42 AM, David Liebmann wrote:

> I am the founding head-elect of Greenwich Village High School in NYC,
> which will open in September 2009. Of the many tasks before me, one =20=

> is
> choosing between Mac and PC. I am sure there are strong opinions on
> either side, but I am curious to hear from those who might have =20
> insights
> into the best choice to support the majority of school operations,
> including the business functions of the school.
>
> David Liebmann

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =20

Kevin J. McAllister | President, CEO
inRESONANCE ... Solutions that resonate

kevin@inresonance.com | 413.587.0236 | www.inresonance.com