Thursday, February 7, 2008

Re: Programming Curriculum in Middle School

We teach Perl starting in the sixth grade. There is a very good book
"Learning Perl" which has the classes set out for use. Perl has
several advantages. first unlike HTML Perl is a real programming
language. HTML is a markup system. second Perl run on our three types
on computers (Windows, Mac, Linux) and the programs work the same on
each kind. Third Perl is a widely used and useful language which the
students will not out grow. That is it is not a "teaching"language but
rather one that has real practical value.

Greg