Saturday, January 12, 2008

Re: Outsourcing email for free?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 02:26:47 -0500, Keith E Gatling <kgatling@MPH.NET> wrote:
>> The biggest single negative I've encountered is the lack of sharable
>> address books. For example, many administrative office use shared address
>> books, but > there is no easy way to do this in Google Apps.
>
>I have a workaround for that, and there are probably a few more. I
>personally own my own domain, and the hosting service's software allows me
>to create not only single email addresses, but addresses with "recipes,"
>which can forward to one or more other addresses. In this domain I've
>created addresses for each of the classes I teach, which then any member of
>the class can send to (as could spammers if they knew it). The advantage of
>this over having our IT people create and modify the membership of these
>groups for me is that *I* can do it when *I* need it without bothering

<snip>

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. For internal groups I'm just going to use a
listserv which we already host. What I was referring to is that, for
example, the Technology Department maintains a common email address book
with contact information for vendors, etc. This allows any member of the
department to have the most up to date contact info which is especially
important when someone is out sick, on vacation, etc.

>One of the minuses you mentioned was the inability to read Gmail offline.
>But they do allow you to POP, so that shouldn't be a problem if you have a
>standard desktop client.

Thanks, you're absolutely right! While we could not provide our normal level
of support for POP/IMAP, were someone to require offline access this would
be a viable option.


>Finally, one thing I don't like about Gmail is the inability of it to
>handle multiple sigs, based on which address I'm using it to respond
>from. That was a great feature of Eudora, and I think that I might finally
>give up on Eudora at home if Gmail could do variable sigs and
>stationery/templates. Yes, I know that I could easily save an alternate
>sig into a message to myself, or even online, and then paste it in, but
> variable smart sigs seems much more elegant. But I suppose you can't
> have everything.

Yes you can, if you use Firefox! I use an add-on called "Signature"
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/578) which allows me to
insert custom sigs with a simple right-click and then choose the sig.

Tom Phelan
Peddie School

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.