Friday, January 4, 2008

Re: Database driven education

Fred, this conversation has been occurring here at a subterranean level
for about 9 months. It began with the confluence of recognizing the
power of Web 2.0 tools and a question from me to our Academic Dean
regarding the viability and appropriateness of differentiated
instruction in our classrooms. My point was similar to yours, but not as
developed. I said computers were good at keeping track of large volumes
of data that can be quickly distilled into useful information, something
at which we humans are not as good.

Given the state of public education and the NAIS program to make
distinctions between what we offer and what good public schools offer, I
predict we will have to differentiate in the classroom for our continued
success (perhaps some schools already do this). In order to do so, I
think we will need the help of technology to create a constructive
learning environment in which the teacher continues to interact with
students (using Web 2.0) and to collect and distill the mounds of data
that we would capture to measure individual student learning and
performance.=20

This discussion made me think of an experiment we are trying in a
Trigonometry class this winter using Tablet PCs and an application
called DyKnow. The teacher has developed all the course materials in
DyKnow, and students use the program on a daily basis in class. As each
student works on a problem solution or proof, the teacher has the
ability to selectively monitor any one of those students, and
communicate with that student confidentially as they work. For all
students, DyKnow records how the student writes out the solution
including erasures so the teacher can see the manner in which the
student approached the problem and where they ran into trouble. It is
not a Web 2.0 application, but it is a database. I can ask the teacher
about the progress of any student in the class and he can tell me their
strengths and weaknesses, as well as show me exactly where they need
additional work.=20

DyKnow is but one example of where software that combines interactive
communication with good databases could make a huge contribution to
education by enhancing both teaching and learning. Perhaps this is a
conversation that should be mirrored on the Independent School Educators
Network. Thanks for raising the issue.

Joel

_________________________________
Joel Backon
Director of Academic Technology / History Teacher
Choate Rosemary Hall
333 Christian St.
Wallingford, CT 06492
addressed.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and any attachments and
destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a
person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized.