Friday, December 3, 2010

Re: Typing Software for K-2

My experience with keyboarding, after working with K-8 in computer class
for many years, trying to quantify progress, has led me to the following
conclusions:

1) The only way to ensure that kids use all their fingers is to have the
keys on the keyboard covered. I had a custom made cover, basically like a
shelf that was wide enough to cover the keyboard, had side panels that made
it tall enough for the students to place their hands underneath, and then a
flap of fabric that came down in front of the shelf. I had a laminated
keyboard on top of the monitor for reference.
2) The best age group developmentally to make progress is 5th grade (both
because of physical growth and willingness to keep practicing). I would give
everyone a timed 10 minute "test" once a month, which was everyone typing
the same story. We scored correct words per minute. Students started with
their hands on home row. They were allowed to lift the flap to reposition
their hands, but otherwise, hands were covered. The average base score was
usually around 2 correct words per minute. By the end of the school year,
these 5th graders were all at 10 cwpm at least.
3) Keyboarding should be done frequently but in short time periods- 3 times
a week for 19 minutes at a time is great.
4) Any keyboarding software works, or they can type from a story.

It is important to encourage younger children to use Word processing in K -
4. If your schedule does not accommodate frequent keyboarding, then that is
a great summer assignment for incoming 5th graders. There are many free
online typing programs.

Daiva Navickas

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Jennifer Voorhees <voorheesj@sidwell.edu>wrote:

> We do an introduction to keyboarding at the end of 2nd, then we really
> get going in 3rd. We use Typing Pal Online which is great for motivated
> kids, because they can work on it anywhere they are online. For kids who
> are lagging, it can become homework if necessary. Teachers can check up
> on them online and keep track. We try to get them through the program by
> the end of 4th. The 5-6th use it also, but with the interface designed
> for older kids, so it doesn't feel like repeating. It's reasonably
> priced and very easy to set up.
>
> I also like it for the short, clear lessons which are still fun, and
> compared to Type to Learn 3 there is a refreshing absence of too much
> nonsense.
>
> Jenni Swanson Voorhees
> Sidwell Friends School

Instructional Technology South Area Solomon Schechter Day School
1 Commerce Way
Norwood, MA 02062