Sunday, December 5, 2010

Re: Programming

Bill --

That's a darn good point: especially since I end up hacking together
PHP/MySQL apps day-to-day all the time. I know that when I presented the
options of Java or C++ (with OpenGL), PHP/MySQL web apps or Cocoa Touch iOS
apps to my students, they were absolutely least interested in PHP/MySQL.
But... it's what actually gets the job done most of the time.

One thing that we've batted around in our department is pushing our web
design class towards learning enough PHP and CSS to write WordPress plugins
for our school blog server. There are _lots_ of good authentic learning
projects to be had with a LAMP stack.

-- S

Seth Battis / http://battis.net / seth@battis.net / @battis / (323) 638-7384