Friday, December 3, 2010

Re: Email monitoring

I think the only way to monitor is to use an email system that is set up =
for that like Gaggle.net. Certain words are tagged (and you can add =
your own), and email is sent to the teacher rather than the student if =
it gets tagged. You can also go in and see all emails sent and =
received.

However in saying that, we used to use Gaggle and switched to Google. =
We really felt bullying was not a technology issue but a behavioral one. =
We have middle school advisory twice a week, and students will share if =
there are issues going on. =20

We supervise their use of technology at school, and we encourage parents =
to supervise their technology use at home. We respond to issues brought =
to our attention just like any other behavior issue. Whether it happens =
at the lockers, in email, while chatting, in the classroom, in the gym, =
it is inappropriate behavior. =20

The biggest issue we have had is when the behavior happens. If students =
are at the shopping mall after school bullying another student, we =
generally don't have to deal with it. But if they are home using email =
after school, somehow this ends up being a school issue. Again, we are =
really trying to focus on the behavior and not the technology.=20

Renee Ramig
Seven Hills School