Sunday, December 5, 2010

Re: Do We Need To Teach Keyboarding?

RE: "Being able to make a presentation in iMovie is
cool, but how often is the average person really going to need to use that
skill in their life? Now ask yourself how many of them will be typing."

Making a full presentation, from start to finish? Probably not that often.

Using research and analytical skills? Deciding what details are significant? Synthesizing information from multiple sources, while making judgments about bias? Coming up with a prioritized plan to make efficient progress? Thinking about the balance between message and intended audience? Thinking about the relationship between content and visual design?


Most of us do these things in various forms pretty often. You can learn these skills from doing a presentation. You will have a much more difficult time learning these things while "learning" how to type.

I spend the bulk of my days in front a keyboard. I am a published author. I never took a typing class, and I type with 4 fingers. I have no idea what my WPM are, because I don't care. It's fast enough to get the job done - no more, no less.


Keyboarding is irrelevant. Let's focus on skills that transfer more readily across technologies, across platforms, across occupations.


Cheers,

Bill

[ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L