Friday, February 8, 2008

Re: Programming Curriculum in Middle School

Here at the Laboratory Schools, we're teaching programming using Logo
(Microworlds) in the 5th grade, Scratch in the 6th, and Runtime Revolution
in the 8th. (Runtime Revolution is a successor to the old HyperCard --
for those oldtimers like me -- and is a terrific multi-media environment
with a powerful yet easy-to-understand scripting language behind it.
Infinitely better than HyperStudio.)

I'm in the process of creating an online version of my 8th grade
programming curriculum; I'll post when it's done (probably not before
summer).

Our department feels that exposure to different languages helps students
learn to transfer skills from one environment to another -- a valuable
tool for anybody to have in their toolbox. Any of the java environments
(Karel, Alice, Greenfoot) we leave until high school; java's syntax is too
complex to have middle schoolers spend time on.

A couple of notes on other replies:
Ann Hammel suggested "How to Design Programs". I totally agree, and have
used it in high school courses. However, you might need to water it down
for middle schoolers -- the text, not the core ideas. I'm thinking of
creating a similar design recipe to use with Scratch; if anyone would like
to join me in this endeavor, they would be welcome!

Lucy Grey suggested "Computer Science Unplugged". While a fine resource,
it doesn't address very many issues of programming; it wouldn't be a good
basis to plan a programming course around.

Anyone else planning on going to the Scratch@MIT conference in July? Hope
to see some of you there!

- marty

--
Marty Billingsley
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools