Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Re: ISED on a Blog? Your thoughts?

Interesting issue on a number of levels. I found the blog in question via
a quick Google search and after doing the typical vanity search for my
past posts am convinced the blog is a useful new addition. It definitely
lowers the barriers to accessing and searching past posts to ISED. While
there may be some dangers in that new ease of access the reality is that
the information has been available for a long time for anyone who really
wanted to dig for it. It is probably a positive thing that we disabuse
ourselves of the notion that our posts to ISED are somehow not in the
public domain. The blog facilitates mining the information posted to the
list and at the same time reminds us to be careful about what we post.
Seems like a win/win to me.

Having said that, I do think it is almost always a good idea to ask
permission when making changes having an impact on a collaborative
collegial enterprise like ISED. (I speak from the slightly uncomfortable
experience of having crossed this line once or twice in the past.)

Fred

Fred Bartels
Head - Computer Department
Rye Country Day School