Friday, February 8, 2008

Re: education outdoors

Hello Greg and ISEDers!

This is an important and critical question. Our program, Global Youth
Leadership Institute, is one program that seeks to develop the participants'
relationship to the earth and the interconnected ecosystems of our world. I
know there a many others as well.

My question/reflection to the list is this: to what extent is nature a means
to teach the skills of awareness and resourcefulness, and to what extent is
being in nature an end in itself. Many schools have retreat programs or
experiential programs that immerse students and teachers in nature for a
short period.

I am curious to know if there are any schools that have had an intentional
conversation about the role of nature and our relationship with the earth
that may factor into these programs.

I will be happy to collect the responses to this question and re-post the
data to the entire group.

Feel free to respond to me directly at mnink@gyli.org

Matt Nink | Executive Director| Global Youth Leadership Institute
829 W. Wisconsin Ave. | Milwaukee WI 53233
o 414.238.2408 | f 414.238.2407 |c 414.397.1159
www.gyli.org

Nurturing collaborative leadership for global communities

and helping schools inspire socially responsible young people