Saturday, February 9, 2008

Re: Battery "best practices" in an 1:1 environment

Jim's thought on assessing how many hours of academic use each day is
a great idea. We have always just generalized and many kids don't
make it to the end of the day. Even though we emphasize plugging in
the laptop every night from day one, many students "forget". But, we
ask each student to bring their chargers along every day just in
case. We have a policy that the computer is not an excuse for failing
to turn in work on time. That keeps the overall responsibility of
managing the laptop in the students' court. As the previous posters
noted that as the batteries age and have reduced charge times. To
that end, we have deployed an unused laptop lab cart in a commons
area to allow the students to safely plug in their laptops during
"down" times like lunch and PE class.

In the lower grades the Macbook's quick boot times actually allow the
students to shut them down between uses and we have few problems with
those batteries draining. Once they get into middle school though,
online texts and note taking become daily routine making total
runtime much higher. We will begin our academic assessment for
realistic time management and challenge our students to make it to
the end. Maybe even "reward" the kids who make it to the end of day
on a regular basis.

Great post!

Fred Austin
The Oakwood School