Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Re: ASUS EeePC

Hi, Phil

We have two eeePCs, and they were quickly snapped up by two high school
students for robot programming. Since they travel to competitions with
the robot, having a tough and small Linux laptop for the job was a good
idea.

Last week I met a tech director who was planning to try out 40-60 of
them next year with students. He had already installed a Citrix client
on his and was pulling a full XP desktop from his distant school. His
idea was to use a Citrix application server to just serve "higher end
apps" to the eeePCs to extend their usability while retain their fast
and light Linux OS. His next step was to learn how to alter both the
installed image and the restore image (on a hidden partition), so that
the F9 system restore from partition would work.

I bought one for my kids for Christmas, and I'm impressed by how much
fun they have with it. It's holding up well, but I'm waiting for one
with a 10 inch screen and larger keyboard before making plans. I've
always liked the idea of a light, thin client laptop that was tough and
affordable, and I'm looking forward to what comes out next. So far, the
sales figures for the eeePC are respectable.

Jim Heynderickx
Director of Technology
American School in London

p.s. If this ends up on a blog, visit my blog at www.k12converge.com.